Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The beginning of the end.

Well, today was my last final exam hoorah! I have finished relatively early, as exams technically don't end until the 21st December, so I got quite lucky I think! Now it's time to salvage what little time I have left in this city, with the new friends I have made. Also did a massive pack up of my room and talking logistics of getting a year's worth of stuff home.

The other day there was the first sighting of snow falling from the sky! Albeit it wasn't like how it is in the movies. It was just little white specs that disappeared in a second and none of the snow stuck because it was raining and wasn't cold enough. Needless to say, all the Aussies were excited and jumping for joy! Can cross that one off the bucket list!

It's such a bittersweet feeling. In 10 days, I will be home again which I am deadly excited about. At the same time, I am feeling such anguish over leaving this city that I have called home for a year. It definitely feels like I've been here for more than a year, and I have really grown to love it, faults and all. I have also come to love the people. I have never met such lovely and friendly people.

I usually am not the sentimental type, and don't care too much for "emotions" and "feelings". I don't think I was too sad leaving home and haven't really suffered much homesickness whilst being over here. But the thought of leaving Dublin actually brought a tear to my eye a few days ago.

Which is really strange because a few weeks ago, I was like "if someone offered me a ticket home this very instant I definitely would take it. A year is probably a bit too long away from home". But now, I feel like the end has just popped out of nowhere and really wish I could stay here just a bit longer.

I also find it really strange that it took me getting out of Australia and moving half way across the world to realise how much I actually do love Australia. The impetus for coming on this exchange was from sheer boredom and wanting a change of scene because I felt Sydney was so boring. But in coming to Ireland, I have really learnt to appreciate my home country and feel like I am coming back a more patriotic Aussie, even though I do now have this connection with Ireland as well.

Going to go to London on Friday to visit Jo and Ped and their new baby Ethan! So excited! It's time for all the goodbyes to start rolling out. Sad days ahead, and many tears too.

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment